Friday, January 25, 2008

Legacy

This is the weekend I’ve been waiting for… ReUnion Weekend! Once a year Legacy Family Ministries (www.legacyfamily.org) puts together an amazing marriage retreat in Salado, Texas and they pull out all the stops: wonderful rooms, great catered food, inspirational speaker, lots of fun newly married couples, ect. Oh and did I mention that its subsidized by Baylor, so the cost for students is only $25.00 for two amazing evenings – We can only stay Friday night because we have to get ready for church…bummer! Last year was our first year to go (I worked for Legacy at the time) and right after we left we put it on our calendar for this year – Its seriously great!

I think one of the reasons I liked it so much last year is because Aaron and I were going through a little rough spot in our marriage. We’d been married about 7 months and the newness of it all had worn off. We were stuck in a rut filled with lots of quick fights, conflicts, and just an overall sense of frustration with being married. I literally hated it… not the being married part, but I hated the fact that we weren’t having fun anymore.

We got to the retreat not really knowing what to expect and we came away with a changed marriage. It was so much fun going on a stress free mini vacation where we all we had to do was sit back and go along for the ride. The speaker’s theme for the weekend was about solving conflict in new marriages. I felt like we could really relate to a lot of what he was saying (Now, I will be honest… Aaron wasn’t a huge fan of the speaker, but the message really helped me). I think Aaron’s favorite part was that we had a ton of free time to just hangout with each other and with the other couples there. Legacy purposely gives you a lot of free time because they want you to reconnect with your spouse and just “be” with eachother.

This year the speaker is Dr. Oliver (no, not Dub) and he’s speaking on keeping God at the center of the relationship. I’m excited to see what he has to say because sometimes its hard for us to keep God at the center… know what I mean.

My awesome brother Grant is going to come stay with Chris tonight – Grant’s a freshman at Baylor and I think he’s excited to get out of Penland for the night!!! (He’s in a 3 person room and its insanely small) They don’t have any big plans..probably just some video games tonight and then some sleeping in tomorrow morning. Its kind of weird that Grant is coming over to hangout with Chris while we’re gone. I remember when I used to drive home from college to stay with Grant when my parents went out of town – Oh how the times have changed!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Have so much fun at the retreat! I can't wait until we get to go next year! :)