Saturday, December 1, 2007

Life's Funny Like That

Well we had an awkward / funny moment today....

Every month or so Chris is supposed to meet with his CASA worker. Now CASA workers are Court Appointed Special Advocates and their purpose is to check on foster children and then represent them in court as an outside, but very informed source. (Ex..If a foster parent abuses their foster child, the foster child can tell their CASA worker and then the CASA worker will be a witness for the child once it gets to court) Anyways, I got a call yesterday at work from Chris' CASA worker. He introduced himself and told me that his name was Eric and that he was coming to Waco on Saturday and wanted to know if we had time for him to come by and check in on Chris. I told him that it was fine and then started to give him directions to our house. He sort of stopped me in the middle of my directions and told me that he used to live in Waco and that he was sure that he could find our place just fine. So to make a long story short...We agreed to meet Saturday at 4:00 pm.

Okay fast forward to last night...we all went bowling in the SUB and as we were leaving we decided to head over to Common Grounds because one of my friends bands was playing (yea-Chris Pearson!) and I wanted Chris to get a little taste of Baylor life. While we were waiting in line we saw tons of flyers for the band Quiet Lovely that said they were playing a show the next day. Now, two of Aaron's really good friends (Jonathan - a really good friend & Eric - a friend through Jonathan) are in that band and Aaron got kind of ticked because his friends hadn't let him know that they were coming into town to play a show. So Aaron told Chris all about his friends that were in the band and how cool they were, all of their fun college adventures, and how Jonathan was in our wedding ect....

While we were sitting around drinking our frozen Milky Way's last night, Chris told us all about his CASA worker and how cool he was. He told us about how Eric would sometimes buy him video games, UT stuff, or other little presents. We talked for a while and became apparent that Chris really liked his CASA worker and it was kind of fun hearing about the bond they'd formed over the past couple years.

Okay now fast forward to 4:00 this afternoon... I'm looking at the clock thinking "the CASA worker should be here any second." All of the sudden we here a knock on the door and when Aaron goes to open it, I hear him say "Heeeyyy, what's up dude..." So I'm kind of upset with my husband for handling our first meeting with the CASA guy so unprofessionally (I mean we're supposed to act like parents - know what I mean?) So anyways, Aaron's going on and on about how great it is for this guy to stop by and how he's missed seeing him. And I'm still thinking that my husband is acting REALLY weird and all of the sudden Eric walked in and I realized that Eric isn't just some CASA guy, he's also Eric the guy that plays the drums for Quiet Lovely / Eric the guy who's bed I sleep in when we go to Austin and stay at his house. CRRRAAAZZZY!

Lets just say that it was hilariously funny and really awkward for about the next 5 minutes as we all tried to be friendly and business like at the same time. Finally we just gave up and just hung out like usual. So after that whole story...here's what it boils down to

1. Quiet Lovely had a show at CG's, so Eric thought that he might as well see Chris since he was in town.

2. Eric didn't realize that we are foster parents.... especially foster parents to one of "his" kids.

3. We didn't know that Eric worked for CASA

4. Aaron thought that Eric was just stopping by since he was in Waco for the Quiet Lovely concert...he had no idea that Eric was Chris' CASA worker

4. Chris didn't know that his CASA worker was in a punk rock band

5. I laughed for a good 5 minutes about the fact that I'd slept (several times) in Chris' CASA worker's bed. (It just seems weird)

I don' t know if I did a good job explaining everything - but how random right????