Friday, November 16, 2007

Team Mom

Last night was Chris' first basketball practice. The coach called yesterday morning and asked if we would let Chris stay after school and practice with the team. Of course our answer was yes - Aaron and I always talk about how exciting it is going to be to watch our kids play sports and now we finally get to do that! I can't wait to buy some spirit apparel and maybe even one of those little buttons with Chris' picture in it!

After work I drove over to the Junior High to pick Chris up and there was a little confusion about where the 8th grade boys were practicing. As I was making my 3rd trip around the school looking for some sign of basketball practice, I noticed another mom trying to get into the building. I let her in and asked her if she knew where the 8th grade boys practiced bball. She said that she had two sons on the team (she has twins!) and that they usually practiced in the Junior High gym, but that maybe they had walked over to the Primary School. We decided to walk through the blistering wind to go see if the boys were over there. As we walked, we started talking and let me tell ya'll ....this mom is so cool and nice. If I had to guess, I would say that she is in her late 20's / early 30's, but who knows. Her name is Courtney and she lives right up the street from us. We decided to switch phone numbers and maybe do some carpooling since we live SO close.

Now this might not sound so exciting to any of you...but it has been really difficult to become friends with people that live near us. Everyone that I'm friends with lives on the other side of Waco and it takes me nearly 30 minutes just to get to their house (yes, Kim and EJ I'm talking about ya'll) I do have a good friend that lives near the Baylor campus, but she's almost never in town and she's leaving for a 4 month internship in DC soon. I really want to become friends with some women that have awesome husbands that Aaron can become friends with. We honestly have 0 couple friends that live in Waco. Actually I take that back - We sort of have two different sets couple friends that live in Waco / Hillsbourgh, but in both sets the wives are nurses and work nights so we never get to see them.

Anyways...this little post has shown me that I need to make more of an effort to maintain the friendships that I do have in Waco and I need to get out there and start meeting people on our side of town.

C Bluff represent - woot woot!
Rachael

1 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You totally need the button: #42 Go Chris!