Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Baskets of Hope




Ohhhh, I'm smiling already - just thinking about the story I'm about to type has caused me to break out in a huge grin.....

Tonight was the first Waco "charity event" that Aaron and I have been invited to as a married couple (we are have finally made it to the elite circle in Waco - lol) Actually, we were the guests of my boss and his wife - we got to sit at their table for the Christian Women's Job Corp yearly fundraiser called "Baskets of Hope." The CWJC is an organization that provides Christian job and life skill training for about twenty five women a year - it is an amazing ministry and REALLY helps a lot of women in McClennan county. To raise money people in the community donate baskets filled with all sorts of goodies, then everyone who comes to the dinner has the opportunity to participate in a silent auction and bid on the baskets. This year there were over 100 baskets donated and almost 500 people in attendance.

Now, I've never been part of a silent auction but tonight I learned how addictive they are. Ummm...as we were walking around checking out all of the baskets, I noticed the most wonderful one of all. It was a golf bag with a putter, golf balls, golf picture frame, tees, and all other sorts of little golf items. I grabbed Aaron to show him the basket and he thought it was really cool. Well, the tag on the item said that it was worth $400 and the highest bid they'd had so far was only $120. So I knew there was no way that I could pass up a steal like that... and so I put my name down for $121 (I didn't know that they had encouraged everyone to bid in $5 increments). Anyways...I went and ate dinner with our group, but the whole time I was a little worried that somebody was going to outbid me. So about halfway through dessert, I got up to check on my basket. AND...Two guys were out standing beside the basket and both of them had outbid me. Well, I wasn't going to stand for that - I put my name down again and upped my bid. To make a long story short - I had a sweet old lady that took a liking to me and everytime someone would mark the basket up, she would come get me so I could up my bid. I eventually pleaded with all of the other bidders to stop bidding on my basket (Yes, I actually pleaded!). And in the end...I WON THE GOLF BAG!

But, the funniest part of the story is what Aaron said as we were walking to the car. See, I was so excited that I won the bag...you know, talking on and on about what a "great deal" I'd gotten since I paid less than half what the ticket said the bag was worth. Finally Aaron just looked at me and reminded me that because of my pleading and discouraging everyone from upping my bid - I had just taken away at least $200 from the charity that we were supposed to be raising money for.. HA HA HA.. here I was looking at it like discount shopping. So pretty much..I'm a cheapskate for charity!

Oh well...Aaron loves his golf bag birthday present and I definitely plan on going back next year, so I can do some more discount shopping!

0 comments: