Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Care Net

Tonight I'm volunteering at Care Net Pregnancy Center. I've been volunteering there for about a year and I absolutely love it!

"The mission of Care Net is to facilitate the delivery of valuable, life-affirming, evangelistic ministry to people facing unplanned pregnancies and related sexual issues. We carry out this mission by supporting the largest network of pregnancy centers in North America and by operating the Option Line call center and website that assists women in need 24/7."

My job at CareNet is client intake... I don't know if that's the official title for what I do, but that's pretty much what I do. On Tuesday evenings from 5:00 to 7:30 I usually talk with two or three clients. While their free pregnancy test is being run, I talk with them about their background and sexual history. Then I go check their pregnancy test and we go from there.

If the are pregnant we start discussing options... like whether they are going to keep the baby, place it to be adopted, or whether they are considering an abortion. We are definitely against abortions, but its important for a woman to know all of her options so that she can make the best decision. Abortion clinics don't tell the woman anything... all they say is that its a medical procedure that is painless, easy, and will solve all of their problems. We talk with our clients about abortions and we go step by step through the procedure. We hope that they will choose life for their child, but if not then at least they know what they're getting into.

We also talk a lot about future plans... Having a child is a life altering event and most women who come to Care Net aren't really ready for it and definitely weren't planning on it. We get them set up with Medicaid, WIC, and give them information about different resources here in Waco.

If the woman isn't pregnant then we talk about abstinence, self worth, and relationships. If the woman is interested, we give free STD tests and talk with them about different diseases that come with promiscuous sexual activity.

CareNet also offers all kinds of classes and counseling sessions... everything from money management to breastfeeding. We do a healing after abortions class, as well as one on miscarriages. The women are invited to attend Bible Studies and there are even classes for soon to be dads.

All in all...CareNet is an awesome place. It meets a HUGE need in Waco and in several other communities all over the US. I got involved in it because my mom has been a CareNet counselor in Rockwall for several years. She would always tell me amazing stories about the women she met with and eventually I decided to see if we had a center here in Waco.... and we did. I did some training and now it has become a wonderful part of my life.

I thank God for CareNet and for all of the staff and volunteers who keep the ministry going!

0 comments: